Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 103: 'Grandma's birthday'

Today is my Grandma Womble's 95th birthday. She is my maternal grandmother. It is impossible to adequately share in words what this wonderful woman has meant to me in my life. She has always been one of my biggest supporters and taken such good care of me over my lifetime. Her cooking was always right on point and her hugs and words of love and encouragement were the best.

Just think about this: 95 years old. I mean, we're talking almost a century of experiences here. She has regaled us with some amazing stories and I have always loved to hear those tales of my ancestors, life when she was young, and her being a Navy WAVE. She was married for over 50 years to my Grandpa. A truly charmed life indeed. Grandma, I am thrilled I could witness and share your 95th birthday weekend with you. I raise a glass to you tonight.

So today's picture is not of Grandma but is related. When my Grandpa passed away a few years ago, I was looking at pictures from their wedding and noticed my Grandpa was wearing a wedding ring. In all the years I knew him he never wore a wedding ring that I knew of. Well I remarked about that and Grandma said that she thought he should have a ring at least for the ceremony so they went out and bought one for him to wear. She also said that she guessed he never wore it or any other wedding band because he didn't want people to know he was married. Well if you knew my Grandpa, as the many people were who were in the room when Grandma said this did, you would know that was completely not true. He was so devoted to her. I remarked that I thought the ring was beautiful and wished Grandma still had it so I could see it. Well, ask and ye shall receive, because she did have it and promptly retrieved it to show me. This being the day of his funeral and amongst all the commotion, she stopped everything to get that for me. That's just who she is, a great, wonderful, caring person, and someone who dotes on her grandson. :>D Later that night, Grandma gathered my Mom, Uncle Frank, and Uncle Wayne, and asked them if she could give me Grandpa's ring. They quickly gave their blessing and it became mine; to this day I am humbled by their acceptance and love in this gesture. I am and have been, for many years, truly blessed. I had the ring re sized and wear it from time to time in loving remembrance.

So here I present a picture of that ring in honor of my Grandmother's 95th birthday. Grandma, I love you with all my heart.

At the risk of getting too emotional I will also say that I miss Grandad dearly and wish he was here to celebrate with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, my dear.
Love you, M