Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 29: 'Writing and Reading Material'

What's up everybody?

Today was a rough and tough start to the week and I was looking to cool down and get some perspective with today's post.

First a big thank you to Barbara for being there for me all the time. The part of the day where I can see her and spend time with her is the best part of the day, no matter what. On a day like today it's especially great to have her there.

Writing has always been something I have enjoyed but for some reason was never my first love. A lot of people in my life tell me quite regularly that I should focus on writing as I could do quite well at it. As I go through a tough time with my current job, I can't help but think that maybe I should concentrate more on writing. Occasionally I will read through some of my stories from when I was in school and I am very impressed, almost like I am reading someone else's work. My problem is focus and commitment. I have been batting around the idea for a novel for a long time, but i have only managed to get a couple of pages written. Well, now I think it's time to consider kicking this into high gear. I believe deep down that I have the talent to write full time and I think the ol' college try is in order.

Reading has always of interest to me as well and that I can say I get from my father. I am not even on the same page when it comes to devouring books but the older I have gotten the more I have gotten back into reading. The bookshelves in my man room are getting quite full with books that I have acquired in recent years but either haven't read or haven't finished. Well, I think to inspire my writing talent I should get back to reading the books I have.

With that I present my picture of the day...

I am currently about 80% through Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol' and my next book will be Stephen King's 'On Writing'.

I was a huge fan of Dan Brown's 2 previous novels 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons', but I must admit that The Lost Symbol started out slow and just didn't suck me in quickly like the other two. It has gotten much more fast paced toward the end and I am very much interested in finishing it soon.

I have been a fan of Stephen King's for quite some time now. I admittedly have never completely gotten through most of his works but I have increased ownership of his books in recent years and plan on getting to all of them. What is drawing me to start with 'On Writing' is the fact that he shares tips on writing. I hope that his book will help me as I try and embark on a journey as a writer as well. Who better to learn and take tips from then one of the masters, huh?

Well I wish everyone a happy Tuesday and I will see you all on the 2nd.

No comments: