Throughout my life I have often been pegged (and I suppose rightfully so in most cases), as a very random person. So it is no surprise that I have and, with this post very much continue to be, random in regards to the picture I put up every day. This one is really going to cause some head scratching I'm sure but hang with me, it's quite entertaining.
For Day 4 I actually got my inspiration yesterday on the way home from work and I couldn't wait to capture it today and put it out there. This is actually hilarious to Barbara and I, and I hope by the end of this post it will be hilarious to you as well. First, a little background...
George's Diner is on Hillsborough St. in Durham and very close to our house. It is a shabbily decorated '1950's' style diner and honestly, I think one of the worst, if not the worst, place I have ever eaten. It opened a few months ago and we ate breakfast there shortly after they opened. The service was 6th rate at best. We ordered drinks and it took about 20-25mins for that to come. Then we ordered our food and it took another 30 or so minutes for that to come out. When we did get our food it was the worst plate of eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes I've ever had. The sausage was actually completely un-edible and the 'seasoning' for it was just horrible. Barbara's Eggs Benedict was equally as bad and she was ready to leave in short order. We agreed to never go back and never recommend the place. I have nothing against the folks that own and run the place, but their initial attempt at a restaurant was laughable.
So just months after their opening we see a huge banner on the side of the restaurant that says "New Staff and New Cooks". I know, hilarious and pathetic. Kinda said it all but the pathetic comes in when you have to erect this shortly after YOU OPEN FOR THE FIRST TIME. Barbara and I agreed maybe the money spent on bad, fake, 1950s style memorabilia would've been better spent on a real, experienced, and credible staff to begin with. I mean really, are you ever going to have a good restaurant without good waitstaff or cooks? I think not. I don't care about the jukebox and I'm not going to your place to play tunes on it, that's for sure.
Before Christmas we noticed they were closing at night, even though another huge sign out front proclaimed 'Open 24 Hours'. Finally, days later, we noticed they weren't open at all. Well I assumed the inevitable and Barbara and I pondered what would happen with the 'decorations' inside. Then we pulled in and what do you know... they're not closed after all, supposedly returning like a bad dream! Ladies and gents, without further ado, here is the 4th picture for this illustrious blog, the handmade 'closed' sign taped to the door of George's Diner.
Umm... yeah.... riiiiiiight. Close down for the most important part of the year (the holidays) for a 24 hour diner with a Waffle House just blocks away providing constant competition anyways??? That screams success right there. Something tells me being without heat couldn't have made eating there any worse. By the way, I am really not scared of the alarms and cameras being on... well actually if they catch me this close to the restaurant I guess that would be embarrassing enough, ;).
Needless to say we haven't eaten there again even with the 'improvements' that have been made and I can say with some certainty that getting heat back in the building will not make it anymore enticing, hahaha.
Ok that is a really long post (phew!), so I hope you enjoyed it and I can't wait to throw something out there for you tomorrow!
Ciao

No comments:
Post a Comment